Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Prep: 20 to 30 minutes | Cook: 15 to 17 minutes
These chocolate muffins are hiding a healthy green vegetable!
Don't worry, you can't taste the zucchini, but it does a fantastic job of adding moisture so we can do without any added oil. What's that? A vegan, refined sugar-free, and oil-free chocolate muffin that tastes great? Yes, it's true. Miracles do happen!
1 tablespoon (15 mL.) ground flaxseed
1¼ cups (300 mL) non-dairy milk
2 teaspoons (10 mL) apple cider vinegar
or lemon juice
2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup (125 mL) coconut sugar,
or natural cane sugar
1/3 cup (75 mL) unsweetened cocoa
1½ teaspoons (7 mL) baking power
½ teaspoon (2 mL) baking soda
½ teaspoon (2 mL) fine-grain sea salt
3 tablespoons (45 mL) pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup (75 mL) mini dark chocolate chips
2/3 cup (150 mL) walnuts, chopped (optional)
1 1/4 cups lightly packed grated zucchini (about 1/2 medium zucchini)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a muffin tin with oil.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons (45 mL) water. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the milk and vinegar. Set aside. It will curdle a bit, but that's the point we're making vegan buttermilk.
4. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. To the bowl with the milk and vinegar mixture, stir in the flaxseed mixture, the maple syrup, and the vanilla. Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts (if using), and zucchini, being careful not to over-mix.
6. Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each well three-quarters full. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until muffins slowly spring back when touched. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean. Cool the muffins in the tin for 5 minutes.
7. Run a knife around the edges of the muffins to release them from the pan and transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
Muffins, Chocolate, Zucchini, breakfast
Oh She Glows